Emergency Room Technician II
Nursing Support Staff
|Department:||Emergency Services |
|Schedule:||Full time |
|Shift:||Night Shift |
|Hours:||4:00PM - 4:30AM |
The ED Tech II is responsible for supporting the nursing staff by providing high quality, timely patient care, and care for department equipment and supplies.
Position Expectations and Responsibilities:
- Expected to have knowledge of maintaining a patient's airway, breathing and circulation in emergency situations.
- Expected to have knowledge of standard (universal) precautions.
- Expected to have of the use of EKG machine to obtain electrocardiogram.
- Expected to have knowledge of care of simple wounds, application of dressings and orthopedic soft appliances.
- Expected to have knowledge of sterile precautions.
- Expected to have phlebotomy skills.
- Expected to have knowledge of Infection Control Policies as well as hospital and departmental Fire and Safety Regulations, HOBS Plan, Disaster and Hurricane Manuals as pertains to nursing assistant practice and responsibilities.
- Expected to have the ability to properly fit and train patient in use of crutches, walkers and other orthopedic soft appliances as directed by ER MD or RN.
- Expected to have the ability to use the computerized order entry system to order diagnostic tests, diets, etc.
- Expected to have intermediate mathematical skills.
- Expected to have the ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Expected to assist the nurse with admitting patients.
- Expected to obtain and accurately document vital signs, including blood pressure, pulse, respiration, patient's height and weight, and temperature as directed.
- Expected to observe the patients within scope of practice.
- Expected to assist in the transportation of patients, as well as, assisting the EMS with the transportation of patients into the Emergency Room.
- Expected to obtain equipment needed for patient care, ensure equipment is clean, and report broken equipment to appropriate departments.
- Expected to prepare and serve nourishment to patients as diet and MD orders allow and assists patient with feeding as needed.
- Expected to perform phlebotomy procedures; including but not limited to, obtaining specimen, transporting specimens to the Lab, and picking up blood/blood products from Blood Bank.
- Expected to help subdue and restrain patients so as to prevent harm to self and/or HCW.
- Expected to perform other emergency department technician duties as assigned, such as: insertion of indwelling urinary catheterizations, 12-lead EKG's, administering enemas, assist in applying orthopedic appliances and splinting materials, and (as directed by an RN) discontinue patients IV, and applies a dry sterile dressing.
- Expected to perform post-mortem care as directed.
- Expected to assist RN and MD in patient follow-up process as directed.
- Expected to assist with HUC or clerical duties as directed (answers phones, etc.).
- Expected to participate in departmental daily quality controls, as directed.
- Expected to participate in the department performance improvement program by obtaining data collection.
- Expected to perform critical care or telemetry monitor patient transports and insertion of indwelling intravenous needles
- Expected to write simple correspondence.
- Expected to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must have one to three months related experience
- Florida State Paramedic License
- BLS from the American Heart Association
- ACLS from the American Heart Association
*Incumbent may be required to perform emergency duty before, during and/or beyond normal work hours or days in the event of an emergency, crisis situation or disaster (man-made or natural) including evacuation sites.
*The person in this position will work in a smoke-free location, and is expected to adhere to all smoking restrictions.
*In the spirit of wellness for both our employees and patients, Boca Raton Regional Hospital has instituted a mandatory influenza prevention vaccination program. Current employees must receive the influenza prevention vaccination free of charge during the recognized flu season. As a condition of employment, new hires will be required to comply with all program rules. This is a mandatory program with the exception of documented medical or religious reasons for not receiving the vaccine. For further information on this progressive program, please contact Boca Raton Regional Hospital’s Human Resources Department at 561-955-4075.